Solo: A Festival of Dance
Solo: A Festival of Dance (Oct 2018)
CALL FOR ARTISTS
Application deadline: Monday, July 23, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Performance dates: Thursday, October 4 – Sunday, October 7, 2018
The solo is a choreographic technique that is consistently taught to dancers. There is an art to composing a dance, a specificity to the arrangement of movement, a technique of representing various movements, and a notation system. This fundamental building block of making a dance is particularly critical at this moment when so much of dance and contemporary performance is being called into question. It is important to refocus on the core of how we define dance as a medium and discipline.
A festival allows viewers, audiences, and artists to have access to a number of different performance works simultaneously. By creating a situation of watching multiple solos in a festival context we begin to open up the space for conversation about how this discipline and medium of dance and contemporary performance is being defined and explored with curatorial and institutional practices.
This festival is curated by Artistic Director, Rachel Cook; Associate Producer, Clare Hatlo; and Director of Program Management, Charles Smith. Selection is based on the clarity of themes and concepts, the depth of the movement vocabulary, use of space and time, and the overall composition of the piece.
- Proposed performance must be approximately 20 minutes in length.
- Artist must be available for one day of tech between September 29-October 3, 2018
- Artist must be available for performance October 4-7, 2018
- Work must be submitted via Submittable by Monday, July 23, 2018, 11:59 pm: http://bit.ly/Solo2018OpenCall
- Please provide a short description of your solo [150 words max]
- Please provide either a short artist narrative [150 words max] or include a resume
- Please submit a work sample of up to 5 minutes. The sample can include multiple clips and it can include your proposed solo performance.
Selected artists will receive an honorarium, use of existing light and sound equipment, staff support, and a travel stipend (if applicable). International artists are encouraged to apply, but note that visa processing fees and assistance is limited. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application no later than August 31, 2018.
Questions about the application process can be sent to email@example.com