Stretch Your Gift! If you've ever thought about making a donation to On the Boards, please consider donating today through GiveBIG - a one-day, online charitable giving event created by The Seattle Foundation to rally together our community to support nonprofits in King County.
Every donation made to OtB through the Seattle Foundation from 7am to midnight today will be proportionally matched by the Seattle Foundation and local businesses from a stretch pool of $500,000. Your gift instantly grows, and will help us finish our season strong.
Win a Golden Ticket In addition, every hour one donor will be randomly chosen to have an additional $1,000 given to the charity that received their donation. And, one extra lucky donor will even receive an extra $5,000 for...
A slow rising dusky light reveals Haruko in pieced victorian lace pajamas, crouching right in front of me. Her flickering eyes in and out of focus, a wry, thin smile on porcelain moon face floats in the darkened space. Eyes stop and grasp mine and then flit off again into a state of smoke. Limbs bent and cracking into root-like angles, fingers twitching, growing, reaching she illustrates the benign / scary essence of something elemental. Sweet yet discordant strings overlapping and strummed, plucked and scratched from the on-stage ensemble complete the sense that I am also growing roots, moving through dirt, tasting wet leaves and growing moss upon my head.
Behind her the striking silhouette of an imposing dark tree; a simple representation...a cut-out, painted with vertebrae that in the wavering light creates the illusion of shifting, of subtle movement, stillness. This simple...
The Pick-6 is available for the first time this year during the Early Bird season. To help you along, we've put together a few sample packages. If you're looking for more information about each of these artists, check out Artistic Director Lane Czaplinski's thoughts on the Inter/National Series and the Northwest Series.
Dance Lovers zoe|juniper tEEth Michelle Ellsworth Mark Haim Kyle Abraham Julie Andrée T. (and be sure to also get tickets for the Merce Cunningham special event!)
Since I missed the Studio show (kicking myself), I'm posting questions I've asked Vanessa DeWolf:
1. Why is performance art and modern dance so often...so frenzied and angry?
2. When a dancer starts to twitch, writhe, beat themselves and fall to the ground do you work harder to find reason, or the opposite? Since this seems to happen a lot, is there a collective debate as to where the 'pain' comes from? Is this a reference point in dance vocabulary, or indulgent 'acting out'?
3. Can a shorter performance piece deliver on the same grounds as more lengthy work?
4. Is there a middle ground...a space in which exact definitions and explanations co-mingle with innate mystery? Do we need to figure everything out?
5. If a narrative is implied, does it really need to have resolution?
6. Must we require an 'entertainment value' on performance if we are sitting in...
It's Father's Day this Sunday, so we're celebrating by offering $1 porters from Deschutes Brewery for all the dads who attend the NW New Works Festival that evening. If you're a dad just mention this at the bar on Sunday, June 19, at either the Studio or the Mainstage to enjoy a $1 porter.
Adam Sekuler created a short film in conjunction with Shannon Stewart's A Better Container, playing this weekend as part of the NW New Works Festival. Watch the 5 minute film, also titled A Better Container, before heading to the Mainstage Showcase this weekend!